Tortellini Meatball Soup
So this is the recipe for the banner image on the blog right now. I love my Mom's meatballs, and I wanted to use them to make a fun meatball soup. I love tortellini, and thought it would make a great soup-meal that was quick and easy to make. You could use smaller ravioli for this as well. It's delicious, easy, and ready in about an hour and a half or so.
1 hour, 30 minutes
Meatballs can be made with ground turkey and/or ground chicken as well. Seasonings remain the same, and the result is delicious and slightly lighter. You can use a mixture of meats as I've shown, or all one kind of meat if you wish.
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork (see notes above)
- 2/3 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (more if you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- For the soup:
- 1 package, 20-26 ounces, tortellini of your choice
- 1 32 ounce box chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 29 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or herb mix
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°.
- First, make the meatballs. Combine all meatball ingredients in a bowl and combine lightly with your fingers until well combined. Roll into golf ball sized balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned.
- Meanwhile, make the broth. Combine broth, tomato sauce, water, garlic, and seasonings in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. When meatballs are done, add them to the broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil again and add the tortellini. Cook for about 5 minutes until one minute after the tortellini begin to float.
- Serve with parmesan on top as desired.